Friday, May 13, 2011

Social Media Expert... IS there such a thing?






I'm taking a moment to share my opinion on something.  An interesting discussion recently took place among fellow members of a LinkedIn Group that I'm a part of.  The question: "How legitimate is a Social Media Certificate?  Where will this lead?"  A variety of opinions were shared.  I read every single comment and every single person, whether "for" or "against", made valid points supporting their opinion.

Below is the opinion I shared on the topic... (*marks additions included specifically for this article*).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a distinct line between "arrogance" and "self confidence".  People often confuse the two. There's an element of "humility" associated with the latter.  I take the same approach when it comes to this field.  I'm absolutely NOT a "know-it-all"... however, I DO consider myself an "expert".

* Look up the definition of the word "expert"... although worded in a variety of ways depending on the source, they all include phrases like "possessing special skills in a particular area"... "extensive knowledge in a particular field"... one source defines it as "possessing special skill or knowledge; trained by practice"... while the Latin origin includes "a person wise through experience". *

Part of being an "expert" includes the ability to know how to get answers, advice, and opinions.  That's what environments like this are for.

When a client chooses to let me work with them, or when I'm speaking to a group, it's because they feel they know less about the topic than I do... and they're wanting guidance and direction.  I constantly tell them this is evolving... and will continue to evolve.

Their expectation?  That I stay on top of what's happening in this environment.  Steer them in a direction that is best for them... which ALSO involves understanding their business... their business model... and their audience.

Social networking tools FUNCTION the same way for all of us.  We ALL have the same access to the same capabilities these tools offer.  But not every business will need to use all the capabilities... nor will every business use these tools in the same manner.  Our "expertise" needs to include the ability to know how to incorporate these tools into their business model.  And it's not going to be the same for everyone.

None of us "knows it all" because tomorrow we'll be thrown a curve... see another change... something new will be introduced.  We'll discuss it... figure it out... and apply it in a manner that works best for us... and for our clients.

That's how I see our role as "experts".  We've chosen for this to be our life.  We learn every day.  We know what to watch.  We know where to go for answers and advice.  We share our experiences, observations, thoughts and opinions.  We adapt.

I've worked with the Internet on a DAILY basis since 1993.  Web development, SEO... it's been my business.  Mark Zuckerberg was 9 when I started.  I've watched things change, evolve, come and go.  I've had to change and evolve with it.  I've spent time learning things only to have it all disappear and become irrelevant soon after.  I've learned things every single day... and will continue to do so.  I'll continue to learn from people who have been involved in all this for far less time than I have.  This will not stop.

Example... during one of my "Social Media 101" seminars... I was toggling between my Facebook PowerPoint presentation and the web.  In the morning... all was good.  "Become a Fan" was the button to be clicked on a business page.  During lunch... Facebook rolled out a change.  To my surprise, I... and my audience... were introduced to the "Like" button that afternoon... along with some other new elements.  Blessing in disguise.  Proof to my audience that I wasn't lying when I said it's constantly evolving... and the afternoon continued on successfully.

"Certification" would be pointless.  Even if the founders of these organizations taught and signed off on them... they'd be worthless a week later.  Much of what we all share is "opinion based"... or something we've learned from someone who WE consider to be an "expert".

* I found it interesting that a few of the people who posted comments included the names of individuals who they  felt were influential to them... or who they considered experts.  Some names I recognized... others, I didn't.  I didn't include any names in my post... however, for purposes of this article, I'll take the liberty of sharing the names of a few I follow.  These are people I've learned from and have come to respect.  They're people who's articles, posts, and videos have influenced me... and, at times, given me food for thought and the ability to look at things from a different perspective.  Frank J. Kenny, Mari Smith, Pamela Hazelton, Jason Keath, Crystal Washington, & Pam Moore.   Of course, there are others.  Do these people think of themselves as "experts"?  Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  I'm not sure that really matters.  They know what they know... and I guarantee that the people they help look to them as such. *

My advice?  Be confident... allow ourselves to be considered "experts" while accepting the fact that we're not "know-it-alls".  At least that's what my people expect from me.




Make sure to "Like" us on Facebook for Social Media updates, news, tips, and more!

1 comment:

  1. Certification is definitely pointless, just as it is in other fields. For example, I am often sent resumes of artists and developers. In my experience, the ones who stick around are rarely the ones with advanced degrees (most have little to no college experience). Just goes to show it really is about real-life and real-work experience.

    ReplyDelete